Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ruth Pajama Pants

I have kind of made a commitment to myself that I will not buy any new clothes for anyone unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

(Wanting "spaghetti strap" tank tops instead of regular tank tops is NOT a reason to go buy new ones, Abbe. We have been to a couple of yard sales but have found very few in her size.)

So, Ruth was needing pajama pants. And since finding some at yard sales or thrift stores is nearly impossible, we decided to make some.

We made our own pattern using this book.

















Our pattern was made by using Ruth's measurement. So, these are made specifically for Ruth.























Then we made our first pair out of white muslin that I had to make sure the pattern was correct.
















As you can see, I made the waist about 1" higher than the pattern. After just holding the pattern up to her, I decided to do this just to make sure they were high enough. You can always cut off extra!
















Next, we got creative. I let Ruth "tie-dye" them with permanent markers. If you have not done this, it is easy and fun.

First, you "tie" the material with rubber bands just like for regular tie-dye and then you color the spaces with permanent markers. Be sure to really get in there and color a lot.























Second, you spray the material with rubbing alcohol until it is completely soaked. It leaves a really cool pattern after....hmmm...what to do with that???









Third, you let them air dry completely.

Fourth, you throw them in the dryer on high heat for about 20 or 30 minutes.
I let my 'cure' for a few days before washing too.

We have done this in the winter by covering the kitchen table with newspaper to do the spraying and then I let them dry in the bathtub. Doing it outside on some fabric is much easier.

 Voila! Pajama pants.























Since the pants fit her, I pulled some horse fabric out of my stash and made her a couple of more pairs. Don't get lazy about the cutting out like I did because some of the fabric will end up upside down! :-p She likes them anyway - they are horses!

No comments: